JOURNAL 3 : PERSPECTIVES

For this project, I drew inspiration from two artists - Hélène Binet, a famous French and Swiss architectural photographer who captures both contemporary and historical architecture, and Martha Cooper, a famous street photographer. I hope to bring out the best of both worlds by combining their styles.

I find myself contemplating the ideas put forth by Roland Barthes in Image-Music-Text. The project involves creating an architectural portfolio by photographing different buildings from different angles, perspectives, and viewpoints.

Roland Barthes' Image-Music-Text covers the complexity of using media to create and express ideas. Barthes' concept of "the intelligible as tangible" resonates with my project, as I aim to capture the essence of buildings' design and structure and communicate a message about the world we live in., which could be considered an intelligible or tangible aspect. Furthermore, as Barthes suggests, the audience's perception of the work is crucial in creating meaning, and in my case, the audience will view the buildings from my perspective, which could highlight specific aspects or elements that the audience may not have considered before. 

As I think about the final version of my project, I realize that it is essential to consider my audience. In this case, my audience is anyone who appreciates architecture, photography, or both. The private components of my project include the planning stage where I select the buildings to photograph, my techniques (selecting angles), and equipment. On the other hand, the public components of my project will include the editing process which is going to be released on Youtube, the photo book as well as the Instagram page where the pictures will be posted elements.

In Image-Music-Text, Barthes highlights the complexity of using media to create and express ideas. He speaks of a music that is not abstract or inward, but endowed with tangible intelligibility. I aim to create a similar effect with my photography, by bringing out the best of both worlds - the contemporary and the historical - and communicating a message about the world we live in.

As I continue to work on my project, I find that it could someday be re-made or re-performed in the future by other photographers or even by me. Perhaps in the future, I could revisit the buildings I've photographed and capture them from new angles or perspectives, creating a new version of my architectural portfolio. In fact, buildings and their surroundings are constantly evolving and changing, providing endless opportunities for reinterpretation and new perspectives. Thus, each new version would be unique and different, as it would capture different angles and perspectives of the same buildings.

In terms of progress, I have selected several buildings to photograph and have started experimenting with different techniques and angles. I plan to document my creation process and post updates on my social media platforms. I am starting to think about adding a storyline, backstory to my pics (staged), however in a very subtle way. 

MURALS Artist instagram

MURALS APPLETON

Buildings Idea : 

=====================================

- Main hall

- Paper Mill 

- Ormsby 

- Catholic Church 

- The Hearthstone Historic House Museum

- The history Museum at the Castle 

======================================

- train rails 

- bus station 

- bus 

- Murals 

- Back buildings on College ave

- At night (store signs) 

======================================


Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés